Office Loss Prevention Tips for Your Business
In our various business insurance related posts here on our blog, we have covered the topic of loss prevention for many different types of enterprise: slip and fall, retail business, mechanic shops, commercial vehicles, contractors, business interruption and computers. In this post we are going to look at some specific tips for businesses that have an office (or several) as part of their operations.
Office Loss Prevention Tips
– Be wary of overloading your electrical outlets. This is especially important if your office is in an older building that has fuses and not circuit breakers.
– If you find that the electrical set-up that you currently have is not enough to handle the needs of running your office, you’re going to want to get an upgrade. While it may be tempting to try to save on costs by hiring your cousin who knows some about electrical work, don’t fall into this trap. Ensure that any work is done by a professional electrician with full documentation that you can reference in the event of an insurance claim.
– It’s important to regularly check that safety features, like your exit signs, fire alarms and emergency lights, are operational. They also must be regularly serviced. Refer to the fire code specifications of your location for the required service schedule.
– Make sure that whenever floors are washed, signage is posted to warn of wet or damp floors. Same goes for a spill – clean it up and set out the sign until the floors have dried.
– Non-slip rugs are a good idea, especially in the winter months when the wet from outside gets tracked easily inside.
– Ensure that you have taken steps to protect your computers and your virtual assets, often the lifeblood of a business. This is so important that we dedicated a whole post to this topic here.
– Any office also has to think about what will happen in the event of business interruption. Do you have a plan in place if say the power goes out and you can’t use your computers? Check out some more food for thought on business interruption here.
Want more advice and recommendations? Click here for more business insurance and business protection tips.
Looking for a quote on business insurance? Contact us today.
Image source: FreeDigitalPhotos.net | pakorn