Top 10 Stolen Vehicles in Ontario for 2019
When it comes to finding cheap car insurance, there are many factors at play that dictate the rates you will pay (check out four of the most common here). One of these factors is the car you drive and the likelihood that this specific vehicle will be involved in an insurance claim.
In this post, we’re going to look at vehicle theft rates and which cars came out on top as the most stolen across our province in 2019.
Vehicle theft by the numbers
According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC), vehicle theft costs Canadians nearly $1 billion, with insurers looking at around $542 million to either fix or replace their clients’ stolen cars. (Source: Insurance Bureau of Canada, Top 10 Stolen Vehicles)
Top 10 stolen vehicles in Ontario in 2019
Insurers take into account many variables when setting their auto insurance rates, and the likelihood of vehicle theft is one factor they consider. The IBC has now released their top 10 stolen vehicle lists for provinces across Canada. Here is the list for Ontario:
- 2014 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT 4DR 4WD
- 2018 LEXUS RX350/RX350L/RX450h/RX450hL 4DR AWD
- 2011 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT 4DR 4WD
- 2005 CHEVROLET/GMC TAHOE/YUKON 4DR 4WD
- 2016 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER 4DR 4WD
- 2002 CHEVROLET/GMC TAHOE/YUKON 4DR 4WD
- 2004 CHEVROLET/GMC SUBURBAN/YUKON XL 1500 4DR 4WD
- 2006 CHEVROLET/GMC SILVERADO/SIERRA 2500 4WD
- 2005 CHEVROLET/GMC SUBURBAN/YUKON XL 1500 4DR 4WD
- 2018 TOYOTA 4RUNNER 4DR 4WD
It’s no surprise to see many older models make the list – they are easier to steal as they lack the electronic vehicle mobilizer (this prevents hot wiring) that was mandated as of 2007. But there also are plenty of newer models, which highlights the need for all vehicle owners to be vigilant and take the steps they can to prevent vehicle theft.
You might also find these resources from the blog archives helpful:
- The Vehicle You Drive Affects How Cheap Your Car Insurance Rates Will Be
- Effects of Vehicle Theft on Your Car Insurance Rates
Looking to get the cheapest car insurance you can? Think about your car and its theft rate. Reach out to one of our insurance professionals to get more information about the specific vehicle you drive, or head over here to get an auto insurance quote online.
Image source: FreeDigitalPhotos.net | Toa55